Friday, September 22, 2006

Learning Curve

Don't you just love it when you don't get anything accomplished? You know what I mean ... the days when you read, or shop, or hang with a friend all day, and are conscious of "time well wasted." I happily whiled away many days that way this past summer, always aware of the stuff I SHOULD be doing instead of the stuff I was actually doing.

Today wasn't one of those days. I worked hard all day on projects. Strained and strove and struggled. And by the end of the day I had nothing to show for it. No triumphs, nothing to point to and say "look what I did today!!"

I was so burned out by the end of the day that when Steve called me before leaving work, I just told him, "We're going out for dinner." And we did. He brought home roses and a latte because he felt so bad for me.

I wonder why we need success, need to have something to show? I'm not that goal oriented. I think I just get frustrated about wasted effort. I wonder if it is because, like our Creator, we love to create? Except He's perfect, and always gets it right, and I sure don't.

Or maybe I'm just trying to find something to redeem the day.

Whatever the case I am so glad I have a husband who brings me coffee and roses and takes me out for dinner when I've had a bad day. I'm so thankful for my kids and my silly dogs. I'm thankful for my job and my colleagues.

I'm thankful that not every day is a bad day.

No comments: