Monday, January 30, 2012

Who am I?

The sermon this week was about who we are - in Christ, of course. But, we also were invited to consider what we know about ourselves: our passions, talents, and interests.

Who am I? I honestly haven't had time to even remember that lately. I suppose that becoming a working Mom for the past 6 years I have neglected the slow thinking, the wondering, the inward gaze. With little to do over the next few months, perhaps I am being the gift of time to think, and to remember who I am.

One thing I know for sure: being slightly broken doesn't define me. I am NOT "Susan with a limp." I am Susan. I do limp, but that is not who I am. God uses the long journey of my injury (and since) to help shape my character, but not define it. I must resist the temptation to dwell in "what I can't do" and instead work toward my future.

Selfishly I pray that my character has been shaped enough by this, and that the surgery this week will be a success, and that a year from now I won't limp any more. Oh, I hope so. But, if it doesn't, then I will move forward and live as just Susan.

I am me. I am a child of God. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I am impulsive and lazy and organized and some other things that I don't really know yet.

I have a limp, but it isn't who I am.


If you are looking for me over the next few months, I'll be in my living room. I would love to see you, or hear from you. I am not looking forward to the isolation of being home without mobility, and communication would make the time pass faster. Thanks so much for your prayer support, and for the practical support that is needed for our family.


2 comments:

Kerry said...

I know a few things about who you are, one is that you are a very loyal and wonderful friend! I look forward to spending time with you while you recover and making some new memories. I also know that you cope well with unexpected life events and you love others with an open heart. I'll be praying for you as you have your surgery tomorrow and as you start your recovery!
Love you lots!!!!

Karen said...

Hi Susan. I tried to leave a comment yesterday, but was stymied by technology. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. And praying for you. And I've already ordered something I want to share with you. A gift for you in this time of having room in your brain. May this time truly be a gift to you. You are a gift for who you are, but also for how you are. And I'm grateful for you.